So this is a recipe my brother made at school and brought home for me to try. I’ve made them once before but found them a little bland so I made a syrup to drizzle on top this time around. Here is the recipe:
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp poppy seeds
Rind of 1 orange
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of milk
Juice from 1 orange
1/2 a cup boiling water
1 cup of icing sugar
Juice of 1 orange
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Sift flour and sugar into a large bowl.
3. Stir through poppy seeds and orange rind.
4. Whisk together eggs, oil, juice and milk in a seperate bowl.
5. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, folding until combined.
6. Spoon mixture into muffin pans.
7. Bake for 12 minutes until browned.
8. While the muffins are baking prepare the syrup by dissolving the icing sugar in the water. Then add the orange juice and stir. It should be a thin syrup.
9. Once the muffins are cooked drizzle the syrup on them while they are still in the pan.
10. Drizzle syrup on each muffin a few more times until it is sticky to touch.
The only thing else I did differently this time was make mini muffins instead of regular sized ones. Only because my grandma didn’t have any other pans. If you need to make bigger ones just adjust the cooking time.