I’ve made this recipe once before and every time it works! It’s pretty much just an even more unhealthy version of French toast with cream and vanilla essence. The first time I made it I followed the recipe and made the toast into stick shapes. This time I didn’t bother because it’s harder to cook it in stick form.
For the original recipe go to:
I didn’t change much but here is the recipe anyway:
8 slices thick-cut bread
4 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Unsalted butter, for cooking
Maple syrup, for serving
1. Cut each slice of bread into four sticks. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla.
3. Dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture, turning to coat it on all sides so that it’s well-saturated with the custard.
4. Shake off any excess and place the coated bread on a large plate or baking dish.
5. Repeat the dipping process with the remaining pieces of bread.
6. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted, place several of the coated sticks in a single layer in the pan. (Do not overcrowd the pan.) Cook until golden brown on one side then flip and continue cooking until the sticks are golden brown and slightly crisped on all edges.
7. Serve immediately with maple syrup for dipping.
I used bread instead of toast in mine, purely because I’ve never made French toast before that uses toast.